HUMILITY, OBEDIENCE, & TRUST


 INTENTION:

One of the most difficult things I have to do in life, is let go of trying and doing, and just submit to the Lord.

As He shared with me, “Life does not become easier… it becomes a life of Letting Go of SELF and holding onto ME.”

   DOWNLOAD BIBLE STUDY AS PDF ) 

 

I.            TOPIC:

We want to look at Humility, Obedience, and Trust (in relation to the Lord).

The word ‘obedience’ for me used to be heavy-ladened with guilt and shame—that if I wasn’t obedient to God’s Law, then I was apt to be punished. Just as I was when I didn’t obey my mom or dad. But, as we have learned, that is not God’s character and nature to punish us (Romans 5:1), but to bless us. And His desire is that we align with Him.

This kind of “obedience” is just choosing Him over choosing anything else: our God-Given free-will ability to choose Life or Death (Deuteronomy 30:19-20). We all have the free-will choice to believe in Him (Jesus Christ) or to not. We, even as believers, have a free-will choice to do as He does (just as Jesus fully demonstrated). Jesus was humbly obedient even unto death (Philippians 2:8).

That humility that is required to be obedient (which Jesus had) can be summed up as: humility is not thinking less of yourself, but of God more. When we make ourselves less than who God says we are, we are neglecting His Life for us. We humans are the valuable pearl and treasure He gave it all up for (Matthew 13:44-46). We must always embrace ourselves as who we really are as believers… “for as Jesus is, so are we in this world” (1 John 4:17).

Furthermore, as believers, we have been given ALL Spiritual Blessings (Ephesians 1:3); let’s not “humble” ourselves so lowly that we don’t use what He already gave us. As soon as you believe (Born-Again), you receive it all from Him. Our obedience to Him as believers does not entail more blessings—we don’t “give to get”; He gave it all Himself and gifted it to us because He says we deserve it as just being His Children. Our obedience here was believing in Him.

Thus, as a believer, obedience isn’t about “getting from God”, but about alignment. He always desires to work in us, through us, and with us to manifest His Will on earth as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10). When we align with Him in obedience, we begin to reprogram ourself in overcoming the flesh. This brings with it the Kingdom of God in our life manifesting itself in our soul (emotional realm) as Righteousness, Peace, and Joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17).

God is also providing us with this ability to be obedient to Him (us acting in Faith)—Faith literally is just the manifestation of God in your life. This is because Faith is a Fruit of the Holy Spirit. Faith is not what we demonstrate toward God (doing for Him to "move"), it's actually what God is doing through you. God the Father manifested Himself through Jesus Christ, and it was credited to Jesus Christ as Faith (Hebrews 12:1-2). Jesus demonstrated this for us, gifting us the exact same ability (same measure of Faith) to do so as well (Romans 12:3).

We mustn’t fall into the “works” trap (even the “faith works” / “more faith” trap) that approaches God as being “if I do, He will”—thinking that His blessings (or healings / miracles) only come upon me if “I have faith”, or if “I do good”, or “if I deserve it” for “God to be proud of me” (prove my worth to Him). This is works, not obedience. We are set free from having to “work to earn”. The Lord wants us to be obedient because He desires for us to live the best life we can here on this earth. And how Jesus lived is how we can live (doing God’s Will even through persecution).

Jesus's human struggle toward obedience was to deny his human flesh. When he denied his human flesh, he maintained that obedience to God the Father. It was the persecution testing Him to see if He would break and be obedient to His flesh rather than to God—as per His prayer in the Garden before being arrested (Luke 22:39-46).

Humility involves change. Change involves growth. Growth involves action. Action involves obedience. Obedience involves submission. Submission involves humility (putting aside one’s own wants at the cost of self—our old self).

For me, it is overcoming (overriding) all the things that had been programmed in me from in the womb that don't belong, that are not trained in me correctly, or that are in conflict with His want for me—those are the things of my old self that I have to let go of—even when it is so opposite to what I am instinctively / subconsciously used to; when in “survival mode”; and the times that it still "feels" right to me.

I am learning about what I had unintentionally been submitting to. For who (what) we submit ourselves to, we become slaves to. So, let’s use our free-will ability to choose an alignment with Him—even when our flesh objects.

·         Refer also: https://cbadenhorst.blogspot.com/2023/03/pendulum-learning.html 


II.            READING:    Romans 6:1-23 (ESV)

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. 7 For one who has died has been set free from sin. 8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10 For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. 13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. 14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

 

III.            RELATED VERSES AND QUESTIONS:

A.      Obeying God rather than people or the wisdom of this world. There are so many “forces” trying to pull us away from the Lord—whether a doctrine, teaching, religion, hate, fear, or “fact”—often programmed in us before we could comprehend. God’s utmost desire is a freedom-relationship with Him (out from unbelief, works, and Law).

Acts 5:28-32 (ESV)

Saying, “We strictly charged you not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you intend to bring this man's blood upon us.” 29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. 31 God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. 32 And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

Romans 10:1-4 (ESV)

Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:1-5 (ESV)

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith.

Galatians 5:1-8 (ESV)

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

7 You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion is not from him who calls you.

Question: What does obedience mean to you? How do you discern that you are hearing the truth (to obey it)?



B.      Being humble is not being weak (nor humiliating). It is a matter of giving yourself to the Lord to give Him the right to help and assist you in life. His blessings are not based on our “works” or our “faith”, but based on His generosity (as being Gifts). We have all spiritual blessings, but we can ensure He gets the glory (not ourselves) when it comes to our interactions with others—yet not dismissing yourself. And for the work and transformation inside of you, being humble is allowing Him to demonstrate a new / different way than what you are trained in.

Luke 14:11 (ESV)

“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

James 4:6b-7a (ESV)

Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God.

1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Question: What does humility mean to you? Can you have self-worth and still be humble?


C.      Being humble and obedient comes at the cost of your “old self” (those things / iniquities you picked up being raised in this world); and sometimes comes with persecution (whether external or internal).

Ephesians 4:22-24 (ESV)

To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Colossians 3:9b-13 (ESV)

Seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. 11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.

12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Hebrews 5:4-9 (ESV)

And no one takes this honour for himself, but only when called by God, just as Aaron was.

5 So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him,

“You are my Son, today I have begotten you”;

6 as he says also in another place,

“You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”

7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. 9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.

Question: Does the cost of self and of persecution (or internal anxiety) make you hesitant to do as the Lord says?



D.      Trusting is not always something that comes naturally to our being (especially from all the times of hurt and abandonment we felt growing up that carried into adulthood). Learning to Trust the Lord is something that I have had to develop in me. And I have found it a very important aspect in my relationship with Him—so much so that the title of these Bible Study books is: Trusting the Father. If we don’t trust God (like I did for most of my life), why would I want to submit myself to Him. If all He was doing was waiting for me to mess up, so as to punish me, then I’d rather just stay clear of Him and my perceived expectations of following the Law for Him. But this kind of trust entails joy, hopefulness, safety, security, and full confidence (H982 and G1679).

Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Romans 8:24-28 (ESV)

For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Question: Do you find yourself easily trusting the Lord? How do you project your experienced relationships on earth to your relationship with God as a Father?



IV.            FURTHER THOUGHT:

A.      Philippians 2:12-13 (ESV)

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Thoughts: I like to simply believe that: Humility = Agreeing with God. And the way I have learned this is through simply obeying Him (being His child) when He says do something—whether for myself and my own growth, or when it is for someone else. Yet in both humility and obedience, one has to first trust.

One part of my journey with the Lord (working out my own salvation) was learning to trust Him and then humbly be obedient to what He was telling me. Early on, this involved getting healed from something that had plagued my life from my teenage years into my adulthood at almost 40 years old: acne. Not only is having acne as a teenager something I felt shameful of; having it as an adult also carried a shame. I was very self-conscious. So, the Lord used that for me to start trusting Him, and not my “own understanding”.

For some people, acne treatments and scripts (including Dermatologists) help the person’s condition. However, it was not working for me—even though I was trusting that it eventually would, not knowing anything different.

The Holy Spirit then placed on my heart the notion of trusting Him in how He knew best for my own personal self and treatment I needed apart from what I held onto. He didn’t condemn me for what I was relying on—no, all He wanted to do was tell me I have a different way specifically for you.

This was extremely hard for me and my flesh. Not only was it about trusting that I was hearing Him correctly, but also just being humble enough to “let go” of what I held to be true for me. What I held was that I had to use the special soaps and creams, because that is what is programmed into me from what I see on acne commercials and such. That the only way to treat it was to go that route; and doing anything else would make it worse. A big fear for me. Yet, I obeyed.

What that looked like was listening to Him about what my skin actually needed and wanted—not the chemical treatments I was used to, but all-natural soaps and lotions that were free from many of the ingredients found in those other products. I went out and bought an olive-oil based moisturising soap. This seemed to opposite to what I held onto; in that to add oil and moisturiser to my face would only have me break out more!

But I didn’t break out. I cleared up. What I had been resisting is what was best for me. The Lord knew that, not me. And that little bit of trust brought about a change to my life. It wasn’t to do with me “having faith”, nor me “believing more”, but just listening and obeying Him in trust. From then on, I have never had to use the things that may help others. He set me personally free from my fear and shame. This is His Love for me!

And He has the same Love for you in wanting to bring about a specific change in your life. Sometimes it just takes trust, humbleness, and obedience. He wants to see you free from fear, shame, sickness, disease, emotional pain, and so much more. And that journey for you will look different than others. You can listen to testimonies of healing shared by so many to help you gain the trust you need in the Lord (as I did). But whether He shares with you to go to a doctor, get medication, counselling, or prayer, just obey Him in whichever path He leads you.

It truly becomes about communicating with the Lord on what He means for your any given situation. How does His Word directly to you (or His Biblical Word) contain His meaning (definition) behind it; not what my definition of that word means. Talk to Him about it and ask. Relationship is about communication, depth, and intimacy.

I Hope you find that for each and every part of your being that you need His Life!

 

B.      1 Peter 1:14a (ESV)

As obedient children…

Thoughts: The Lord wants us to be as a trusting child to Him. Yet, sometimes it feels as though we have to “blindly” trust Him. But (as He has corrected me) He shows us in the Bible this trust—so, it is not “blind” or unknown to us. He’s written down His demonstrations of trust relationships in the Bible—Abraham, Isaac, Moses, Isaiah, the Disciples. They all wrote down by the Lord their experiences of trust with Him that were never let down, or led astray, or not taken where freedom existed. These are there for us to learn. Ask yourself:

·         How can you learn about trust-relationships with the Lord to help you develop one with Him?

·         How does the Lord act that enables you to trust Him?

·         How do you act with others that enable them to trust you—whether a co-worker, spouse, child, parent, friend, stranger, leader, pastor, or just as a human being?

·         Do you feel you could trust Jesus more than God or the Holy Spirit? Why?




V.            ACKNOWLEDGEMENT & SUPPORT:

A thank you to Kelly and Joshua who are inspirational in this life-journey. And to all the family, friends, sponsors, and donors who have fed into this ministry and outreach.

If you would like to support this ministry and outreach, you may do so via our website or at:


(U.S.A. registered 501c3 Non-Profit Organisation)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TABERNACLE: MIND

FAITH & BELIEF / UNBELIEF

THE LORD'S PRAYER